Therapeutic Adoption and Fostering Service
TAFS is delivered by combining the skills and experience of our Associates into an effective multi-disciplinary team (MDT) that provides consultation, assessment, treatment formulation and support for adopted children and those in care.
When children go into care (become 'looked after') by the local authority or have a plan for adoption, the law requires a detailed assessment of their health. This includes a duty to promote a child’s educational achievement.
Not having full health information can make it harder to understand a child's difficulties and can impact on the adoption or fostering process.
Unfortunately this information is not always available when a child is taken into care due to a number of circumstances beyond the control of the Local Authority.
Our TAFS service can provide a complete assessment, diagnostic and support service specially developed for looked after children.
Clients who refer cases to us can expect:
- A full consultation and assessment with a Psychologist for the primary care giver and child
- A report summarising the consultation with recommendations and treatment formulation
- A wide range of therapeutic support options to consider all delivered in house at our practice
- All cases progressing to therapeutic options supervised by HCPC registered and experienced Clinical Psychologists
- Full case management and reporting
Therapy / Support Options
Treatment plans may include recommendations for ongoing therapy or support for children and caregivers to:
- Improve mental health
- Promote educational achievement
- Develop social skills
- Support emotional dysregulation
- Manage attachment disorders
To see what support options are available please see our therapy options page.